Aunt May’s Asparagus Pie!
This hearty quiche is as attractive as it is flavorful; it looks complicated to make but is actually simple. The secret is the crust – it’s refrigerated pizza dough seasoned with basil and Parmesan cheese. The asparagus spokes are what make this pie special.
1/4 lb asparagus (fresh, trimmed)
2 tsps canola oil
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tsps dried basil
1 package pizza crust (13.8 ounces refrigerated)
3 bacon (strips diced)
1 onion (chopped)
1/2 cup milk
1/8 tsp salt
1 dash ground nutmeg (es)
1 1/2 cups swiss cheese (6 ounces shredded)
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
• In a large saucepan, bring 1/2 in. of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately place asparagus in ice water. Drain and pat dry. Toss with oil; set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine Parmesan cheese and basil; sprinkle half over work surface. Place pizza dough on surface; roll into a 12-in. circle. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan mixture; gently press into dough with a rolling pin. Transfer to a greased 9-in. springform pan. Press dough onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of pan.
• Line unpricked dough with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer. Place on a wire rack. Reduce heat to 350°.
• In a small skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp; using a slotted spoon, remove bacon to paper towels. Drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings. In the drippings, saute onion until tender; drain.
• In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and nutmeg. Stir in onion and reserved bacon. Toss the Swiss cheese and flour; stir into egg mixture. Pour into the crust. Arrange asparagus in a spoke-like pattern on top.
• Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before removing sides of pan. Cut into wedges.